Making your own body care products
Recipe: Cleansing Cream
This cleanser is suitable for use on most skin types as it removes impurities without leaving the skin feeling dry. It is also suitable for removing make-up. The oil will dissolve the impurities, the emulsifier will allow the oil and impurities to be lifted off the skin and to be mixed with water to be rinsed away.
20ml apricot kernel oil
15gm emulsifying wax
150ml water (purified is best)
1ml (20 drops) grapefruit seed extract
Add 20 drops of your choice of essential oils (see below)
- Weigh out all ingredients.
- Place emulsifying wax in a pyrex jug or metal bowl.
- Place 150ml water and grapefruit seed extract into a different jug or bowl.
- Place both bowls in a large saucepan of water. The jugs should sit on a metal rack so that they do not touch the bottom of the saucepan. This ensures the ingredients will not overheat.
- Heat the saucepan of water on the stove.
- When the emulsifying wax melts, add the apricot kernel oil to it.
- When both jugs have reached 65 – 70C, slowly pour the water phase into the oil phase whilst leaving the oil phase jug sitting in the hot water. Stir continuously.
- Once the water phase has been incorporated in the oil phase, it can be removed from the heat. The emulsion at this stage can be very watery.
- Continue stirring quickly and consider using an electric mixer for a short time 20-30 seconds.
- When the emulsion cools to 45C, add your essential oils and stir thoroughly.
- Once it begins to thicken, pour into jars.
Essential oils to consider:
Normal Skin: Ylang ylang, Jasmine, geranium
Sensitive Skin: Chamomile
Dry Skin: Rose, palmarosa, rosewood
Oily Skin: Lemon, geranium, juniper
Combination Skin: Grapefruit, petitgrain, geranium, patchouli
Dehydrated Skin: Sandalwood, lavender, ylang ylang
Mature Skin: Frankincense, rose, patchouli
Acne Skin: Chamomile, lavender, palmarosa, tea tree
Devitalised Skin: Rosemary, lemongrass, vetiver
Broken Capillaries: Cypress, chamomile
All ingredients available in-store.
Trained at South Pacific College of Natural Therapies in 2000, Vanessa brings over 15 years natural health care experience to our store. She was appointed manager in 2012 and is the co-founder of Advanced Naturopathics, a Christchurch naturopathic clinic.
A former teacher, Vanessa is a registered Naturopath, Medical herbalist and a Bioresonance practitioner.