Getting a better nights sleep
Bedtime tips to help you sleep easy
Unwinding at night is not only useful it is beneficial to help you relax before bedtime.
1) Essential oils – add a few drops of lavender oil to an evening bath, or onto a tissue beside your pillow.
2) Meditation – it decreases the activity of the mind
- Breathing exercises
- Low light level (i.e. candle light)
- Relaxing classical musical may help to assist the unwind process
3) No TV or Facebook – avoid watching TV or using the computer for at least 1½ hours before bed (preferably 2 hours) is a great way to encourage your mind to switch off too!
4) Avoid electromagnetic radiation (EMF) in the bedroom – it disrupts sleep patterns and your hormonal balance
- Remove all electrical appliances from the bedroom, including your mobile phone
- Use a battery operated alarm clock, if necessary
- Unplug an electric blanket from the wall socket prior to getting into bed
- Do not charge cell phones near the bed
5) A glass a milk! Warm 200ml of milk. Drink one hour before bed (if appropriate for you)
FOODS TO AVOID
After 5pm avoid foods containing tyramine. These include:
- Banana (the riper, the higher the tyramine)
- Processed and cured meats
- Liver, especially pate
- Cheese. Most aged cheeses contain high tyramine. Cream and cottage cheese contain virtually none.
- Alcohol (especially red wine and champagne)
- Soy (fermented) i.e. soya sauce, tofu, miso, tempeh
Trained at South Pacific College of Natural Therapies in 2000, Vanessa brings over 15 years natural health care experience to our store. She was appointed manager in 2012 and is the co-founder of Advanced Naturopathics, a Christchurch naturopathic clinic.
A former teacher, Vanessa is a registered Naturopath, Medical herbalist and a Bioresonance practitioner.
Latest posts by Vanessa Winter (see all)
- Nutrigenomics – an exciting new field of personalised healthcare. - 19 June 2018
- Genetic Testing for Optimal Health and Aging - 23 August 2016
- Beeswax Food Wrap – Make Your Own - 5 April 2016