Getting a better nights sleep
Bedtime tips to help you sleep easy
Unwinding at night is not only useful it is beneficial to help you relax before bedtime.
1) Essential oils – add a few drops of lavender oil to an evening bath, or onto a tissue beside your pillow.
2) Meditation – it decreases the activity of the mind
- Breathing exercises
- Low light level (i.e. candle light)
- Relaxing classical musical may help to assist the unwind process
3) No TV or Facebook – avoid watching TV or using the computer for at least 1½ hours before bed (preferably 2 hours) is a great way to encourage your mind to switch off too!
4) Avoid electromagnetic radiation (EMF) in the bedroom – it disrupts sleep patterns and your hormonal balance
- Remove all electrical appliances from the bedroom, including your mobile phone
- Use a battery operated alarm clock, if necessary
- Unplug an electric blanket from the wall socket prior to getting into bed
- Do not charge cell phones near the bed
5) A glass a milk! Warm 200ml of milk. Drink one hour before bed (if appropriate for you)
FOODS TO AVOID
After 5pm avoid foods containing tyramine. These include:
- Banana (the riper, the higher the tyramine)
- Processed and cured meats
- Liver, especially pate
- Cheese. Most aged cheeses contain high tyramine. Cream and cottage cheese contain virtually none.
- Alcohol (especially red wine and champagne)
- Soy (fermented) i.e. soya sauce, tofu, miso, tempeh